Top 10 Hazardous Waste Compliance Issues
A recent Tufts University study revealed these top ten hazardous waste compliance issues:
- Waste label not properly filled out (on both sides, complete information).
- Weekly inspection of the satellite accumulation or main/central accumulation area NOT being performed.
- Full container remaining in a satellite accumulation area for more than 3 days.
- More than one container per waste stream (type of waste).
- No impervious base (secondary container requirement). All waste containers must be stored in a compatible secondary container in order to contain spills.
- Required annual training NOT documented (Hazardous waste and spill response training).
- Open waste container.
- Satellite accumulation area not under control of the staff generating the waste.
- Spillage or leakage of waste (including contamination on the container).
- Failure to determine waste as hazardous. e.g. It is clearly waste like but there is no waste label.
And with fine amounts potentially at five figures per day, it’s best to make note of these and stay on top of them!